10.27.2010

Why Pollyanna?

I was asked why I chose the pen name, "Becoming Pollyanna" and was shocked that there are people out in the world who have NO clue who Pollyanna is or understand the reference.  Let me take a moment to educate you people... ;-)

When I was young, my mom had us watch old Disney movies - and one of them was called Pollyanna, based on the book which came out in 1913.  The story is about an orphan girl who was sent to live with her aunt and over time she transformed the citizens of an entire town due to her contagious positive spirit.  She had a game she played with her father called the glad game and it was a way to find the good in every situation.  Toward the end of the movie, she became paralyzed and although she couldn't walk, she was grateful that she had the opportunity to have her legs work at one point in her young life.

For me to "become Pollyanna", I need to embrace this positive outlook and continue to focus on the good parts in my life and be grateful for the gifts - big and small - when they are bestowed upon me.  My thanks to the universe for these gifts is to continue to pass along positivity and love each step of my life journey, paying it forward to others who need it and touching the lives of those who are also struggling. 

It's tough to be like this when life seems to be throwing me curveballs, but I'm getting better at it as I go, thanks to some amazing family members and great friends who can make me laugh at myself and who remind me how lucky I really am.

So, if you have never read the book - here's another one for you to go check out at the library. Or find the movie on Netflix.... and really try to think about the underlying lesson:  That sometimes life sucks, I mean really, really sucks.  But, there is always something in your life you can be grateful for and that's how you start to become Pollyanna!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

And she looks like your daughter!

Jeanette said...

I thought you had superimposed a pic of Carleigh on the image.

Unknown said...

kind of funny how they look alike, now that you mention it! ;)

Nate said...

and after seeing the photo came to remember she, the Pollyanna actress, was the start of the long running TV show Saved by the Bell! Hayley Mills..