10.26.2010

Kisses, sweet kisses

I chatted with a friend who is recently married - I mean really recently married and still has the sunburn from his honeymoon.  In our little talks, I made mention that there are keys to a happy marriage (based on what I have been lacking for always) and proceded to lay these rules down for him starting with NEVER EVER STOP KISSING.

...and he tells me that they don't really kiss.  I was FLOORED!  I mean completely totally floored and so freaking confused!

How can that be ok and how is that even possible with a happily just married couple? 

Call me a hopeless romantic and one who gets that little tug at my insides with the quote by Rhett Butler in Gone with the Wind:  You should be kissed, and often, and by someone who knows how.  It took someone quoting this to me and I never realized how true this was, that the "often" part is very important as is "the one" giving the kisses.  Once that was introduced in my life, it was like a drug...couldn't get enough of it.  So, to be newly married and already finding the kisses waning makes me sad for my friend.

And, looking back at my marriage way back in the day - that moment on the alter after the vows were said and the pronouncement was said...that awkward moment comes back to me again like a hammer to my heart.  I remember not knowing how to kiss my new husband that day - remember thinking that this should have been discussed at some point - what type of new married couple kiss would seal the deal?  Then there was the point that I really missed until recently - that the passionate kisses had faded long before the marriage vows were even said and can't ever be revived again.

So, readers.... what's your take on the situation? Kissing - over-rated? I mean really?  Am I just delusional to think that its so important?

2 comments:

Marguerite Labbe said...

Kissing is vital. It's that first step in intimacy.

Anonymous said...

I yell at my boyfriend if he leaves a room without kissing me. We had a discussion not too long ago about how our kisses were becoming shallow. I told him I remember when he would linger on my lips for at least 30 seconds and then give me another quick peck afterward. Nowadays it's just quick pecks. I told him that I would go to bed angry if I didn't have at least one passionate kiss during the day.

Really sucks that he lives so far away now. Kissing is paramount.