10.11.2010

Raising Prince Charming

When I found out that I was having a little boy - yes, I am that person, the one who has to know RIGHT NOW and can't wait for the actual birthday - so many worries popped into my head about how bad I could scar him for life if I wasn't a good, strong mom in raising him.  I instantly had dreams of how he would turn out - he would be handsome, charming, intelligent, musical, artistic, athletic.  He'd learn to cook well and also learn how to fix a car and change the oil, rotate tires and all that.  His dad is a hunter, so I knew that he'd also be an outdoorsman.  All of these plans for him for piano lessons and football, to nights at the Opera and weekends in the woods.  I knew deep down, that my job was to turn him into the perfect man - one that would be a contributor to the world and one that would be a husband and father - a GOOD husband and father.  Did I want him tough or did I want for him to be sensitive to his feelings and the feelings of others? 

I held him when he wanted to be held.  I watched his little face, we stared at each other while he ate, smiling at him every moment.  I held him while I read to him, I talked to him about the world around him.  I used manners from the day he was born - please and thank you.  Firm no's and even affirmative yes's and praise.  I spent less time chasing him around saying no and more time showing him what would make me say yes.  As he got older, I watched how he interacted with others - from family to strangers.  This little man, before he could actually form words, would make sounds that resembled the tone of "thank you" and "bless you".  If you sneezed or coughed, you heard the sound from him.  If you gave him something he wanted, you heard him say thank you.  He would find the most unhappy person within eye sight and make them smile.  He hugged willingly and loved completely. 

At 7, he compliments those around him, praises those who need the pat on the back.  When he plays sports and someone falls down or is hurt, he's one of the first ones to their side to help them back up.  He gives all he has to make everyone around him feel wonderful without expectation that it be returned.  He  holds open doors, says hello to people who walk by him and takes time to ask, "How are you?" and he honestly cares for a reply. 

I honestly don't know what life will be like as he gets older and life in general becomes more challenging for him.  Peer pressure will impact him and I hope all I've taught him will help him make the best decisions.  I hope he keeps his gentle personality and caring spirit!  And most of all, I hope he continues to love the way he loves!

No comments: