10.26.2010

Fire on a Cold Night

Wandering aimlessly, stumbling along the path before me
Appearing through the trees, the fire draws me near.
For a moment I sit beside the hearth, welcoming the companionship, as the chill is forgotten.
The wind whispers, I have to leave, my searching is not over.
Turning away from the flames, I feel the grip of cold on my heart
Taking my breath away with each tightening grasp.
Reaching back, I grab an ember, feeling the warmth in my hand as a reminder.
Flailing, helpless, tripping on my own two feet
Lost on the path stretching before me, the ember's heat fading in my hand.
Am I walking in circles?
Stronger, brighter, more fierce, leaping higher into the air
Flames coaxing me, drawing me closer to the hearth again
Stepping from the path, the cold forgotten.
Enticing, licking, caressing flames
Twirling, dancing, spinning, falling
Burning!
The fire spits me out back into the chilly night.
I'm left with a forever memory of that moment
Searing, red, hot
The flames subside and a fading scar remains
Each glance reminding me of where I don't belong.
The wind howls, the path reappears before me.
Searching, pleading, wanting shelter from the cold and protection from the fire
I stumble along the path before me.

No comments: